When you enter into a marriage you are hopefully expecting to spend the rest of your life with your partner. All marriages come with different challenges.
It is normal to experience some bumps in the road. This article will give you some food for thought if ever you are finding your marriage difficult or hard work.
Nobody ever said that marriage is easy, but the benefits of marriage surely outweigh any difficulties. It is all about spending your life by the side of the one you love and riding out the turbulent waters together.
1. A successful marriage requires falling in love many times and always with the same person. – Mignon McLaughlin
This quote is just so perfect. It encompasses what it means to grow old with somebody you love. That life will always change a person, but marriage means that you grow and change together.
2. Marriage isn’t a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.
It can be incredibly useful to think as the word marriage as a verb, an action word. It is something you have to physically do, to put effort into. Becoming complacent is often the worst thing for a marriage. Be active in your love for your partner and reap the rewards.
3. Make your marriage your own. Don’t look at other marriages and wish you had something else. Work to shape your marriage so that it is satisfying for both of you.
This quote reminds you to make your marriage work for you as a couple. Comparing yourselves to other can only lead to trouble. Afterall, you never know what’s going on behind closed doors.
4. A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time. – Anne Taylor Fleming
A marriage is not always easy, it can be difficult to balance being your own person and being part of a couple. This quote reminds us of that. But just because it is difficult, does not mean it isn’t worth doing.
5. Love is a flower which turns into fruit at marriage. – Finnish Proverb
This shows us that marriage can turn love into something even more beautiful. It perfectly encapsulates what marriage should symbolize in modern times.
6. Marriage is like watching the colour of leaves in the fall; ever changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day. – Fawn Weaver
Marriages change over time and that should be celebrated and acknowledged. As we grow as people, and as couples, a marriage can become even more exciting as it develops with time. This isn’t something that should be brushed over, it should be shared.
7. Husbands too, deserve to be spoiled. Tell them, they are handsome. Tell them their efforts are appreciated, make them feel secure. If he is doing his best to treat you like a queen, do your best treat him as a king. His need to feel loved and appreciated is real.
In current times there is a lot of focus on making sure the wife is spoilt, but times, and gender roles, are changing. A marriage is all about equality and taking care of each other. It should not be one sided.
8. I married you not because I could spend a lifetime with you, but because I could not spend it without you.
This quote shows the sheer power of marriage and of love. That feeling that you couldn’t live without somebody is what most people strive for. If you’re lucky enough to find that, you’re well on your way to a lifetime of happiness.
9. A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together, it is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences. – Dave Meurer
It is important to acknowledge that nobody is ever perfect and being in a happy marriage is about loving your partner’s imperfections. Everybody is human and to try to be perfect all the time is not only impossible; it is also unhealthy. By learning all about your partner, and their quirks and imperfections, you can grow together in a healthy and open way.
10. There is no such thing as a perfect marriage because it is made of imperfect people. God is the only one that is perfect and having Him in the middle of your marriage guarantees perfection in all the imperfect circumstances.
Quote number ten is all about opening up your marriage to that all important third being. If you are not a particularly religious person, the alternative is to allow faith into your relationship. Not necessarily in a religious form, but a spiritual one. Have faith in each other, that your relationship is meant to be, that you are strong and that your marriage will be a happy one.
I want to end the article with one little bonus quote.
“The difference between an ordinary and an extraordinary marriage is in giving just a little ‘extra’ every day & as often as possible.”
It is so important to make sure you put effort into your marriage if you want it to stay strong and keep building. These quotes will hopefully allow you to reflect on your marriage, or what you want from a future marriage. Take these quotes and apply them to your daily life, you could be impressed with the outcome.